everything right is wrong again

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

book meme

well, it's definitely training time again, and that's why i haven't been posting much. i'm sure all three of you are highly disappointed. well fret no more! really, i'm mostly here because i was tagged by skully with a book meme. which in turn, i will tag the kellanator. i would tag the million dollar girl, but i'm not sure she's hopped on the blog train yet. anyway, here goes:

a book that made you cry: Both books here are graphic novels: Pedro and Me and Maus. Not what I expected from a graphic novel at all, but I cried and cried through both of these. In public. Oh yes, in public, people!

a book that scared you: Can I just say that the first thing that comes to mind is Communion. No, I’ve never read it, but the freakin’ cover creeps me out. I can’t have a book about aliens in my home, especially with a picture of one on the cover. That is just BEGGING for a visit from the MIB. Also, Behold a Pale Horse in all its conspiracy-theory glory scared the heck outta me in college. These days, I still love a good conspiracy theory, but now I just couldn't care less. Nothing we can do about the government chip implants anyway. Know what I mean?

a book that made you laugh: Any of Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series. Even after 11 books, she can still get me to laugh out loud.

a book that disgusted you: American Psycho. It wasn’t just the violence toward women that irked me, it was just the plain stupidity of it all. The story went nowhere, and there was no motivation behind the violence (“just because he can” does NOT cut it. That’s a cheap form of dues ex machina, rating right up there with the “it was all a dream” cop-out). I get that it’s the 80’s and you’re part of the ME GENERATION, ok? I. GET. IT. Don’t waste my time with 20 chapters on the main character and his grooming habits. I GET IT, OK? And a whole chapter on why Genesis is the greatest band ever…was that meant to distract me so I didn’t realize how much the rest of the book sucked? Aye yae yae.

a book you loved in elementary school: Beautiful Joe and Charlotte’s Web. I read them over and over and over and over…I read non-stop in elementary school. It was REALLY pushed by my teachers and my mother to read read read, and it wasn’t until high school when I only had time to read school books that I stopped reading for pleasure. The only time I’ve ever read more than my elementary school days is now.

a book you loved in middle school: This is when I first discovered Stephen King. I first read The Eyes of the Dragon. And oh my goodness, they talked about penises, sex, and more sex. I thought my mom would KILL me if she knew I was reading it!

a book you loved in high school: Brave New World, and Alice’s Adventures Through the Looking Glass. I tore that book apart, bit by bit. I wrote many, many papers on the themes in that book, and spent many hours reading Annotated Alice and More Annotated Alice. This book was an a-ha moment for me…that people write more than just stories, they write to mock, opinionate, and challenge your beliefs. And mostly just social commentary. I read a lot of plays in high school too, and A Midsummer Night’s Dream quickly became a favorite of mine.

a book you hated in high school: Huck Finn, The Old Man and the Sea. Lord, they was boring. I’m not even sure I read them in their entirety. I'm getting sleepy just thinking of them.

a book you loved in college: A Clockwork Orange, Skinny Legs and All

MY ADDITION: Books I hated in college: Catcher in the Rye, The Heart of Darkness...I cannot stand stories with no build or climax.

a book that challenged your identity: I don't know…but most Tom Robbins challenges my perception of reality

a series that you love: Harry Potter, Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire series, Janet Evanovich’s series,

your favorite horror book: A Clockwork Orange. Even better if you have the REAL ending, the one that shows Alex as an “adult” with a child, and you realize…it was all for nothing…

your favorite science fiction book: Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. I’m a nerd.

your favorite fantasy book: I have to name ONE? Well then, one of the best books EVER, not just fantasy, is American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. Sort of Tom Robbins meets…well…Neil Gaiman. Brilliant, just brilliant. This book prompted me to go visit the House on the Rock in Wisconsin…highly recommended—both the book AND the house!

your favorite mystery book: I love Carl Hiaasen, G.A. McKevett, and cannot wait for the next Kathy Hogan Trochek mystery. And I miss Dianne Day—the Fremont Jones series was a fave of mine. I also love the first few books in the Tempe Brennan Forensic series, starting with Deja Dead. Also enjoy the Psychic Eye mysteries.

your favorite biography: Umm…

your favorite "coming-of-age" book: Blood and Chocolate. No, it's not about a hormanal teenager becoming a woman, it's about a teenage werewolf. One of my favorite YA novels.

your favorite book not on this list: Anything by Christopher Moore. Lamb, Bloodsucking Fiends, Stupidest Angel, Practical Demon Keeping…

ADDITION: There was no "romance" field. As Skully says, "another example of the prejudice against the genre, perhaps?" So I'm adding it too. Right now I'm loving the latest MaryJanice Davidson, and next up is Emma Holly (I read her books for the sex, sex, and more sex. Did I mention sex?).

1 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger skully said...

I forgot! I love Emma Holly too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home